Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 2: 31 March 2010 - Wednesday

Today was a crazy day. I woke at 6am, chatted online for a couple of hours, and then passed back out until the hotel clerk called me at 1115am, telling me to come downstairs because I had received a phone call. I walk downstairs in my leggings and a sweatshirt, hair a 'hot-mess' (as Court would say), to get the phone. It was Sonja telling me I needed to get up because check out was at noon. She picked me up 45 minutes later in her whatever-car-she-drives and we went to get some lunch at a local coffee shop (not even 24 hours into it and she already knew my coffee addiction). On the way, she surprised me with my new LG cell phone (Korea follows me everywhere I go). I wasn't expecting it, (none of the schools in Korea ever bought me a phone, WTH?) and was very thankful to get it.

After lunch (and a nice iced coffee with fresh milk), we went to my new apartment to sign the lease and so I could move my two bags and backpack into it. As we are driving, I'm looking at my map and she's telling me where we are going, I think I got things pretty much figured out for now. Well, I mean, within a 10 block radius. Anyway, we drive down my street, passing woman standing around chatting and kids playing barefoot, and park just shy of this humungo green building. Sonja says, "See this place? It's called Green Mansion." I said, "Wow, is that where my apartment is?" Sonja, "No, yours is next door." Briefly my hopes were shattered because I thought it would be great to tell everyone at home that was living in a mansion in Cambodia. Anyway, we enter though a tall gate, with security guards out front. Apparently they are very common in Phnom Penh, because they are in front of just about every establishment that I've seen so far. It doesn't seem like they do too much except for stare though. I meet my landlord, Mr. (I forgot), talk over the lease and then upstairs to finally see the place I'm going to call home for at least the next 15 months. My first impression??? WOW! This place is awesome. As you reach the landing of the third floor, you are immediately on my balcony. The balcony is quite large, and it also holds the hot water tank (I think that is what that big metal tank is) and my washing machine (which I share with my neighbors). I walk into a huge living room, with a desk, two chairs, coffee table and couch (minus the cushions, it's actually more like a wooden bench with arms and a back, nice wood work). Two huge sliding glass mirrors on the far back wall, directly across from the front door, hide my nicely sized closet. One through the door next to the mirrors takes you to the kitchen. Everything is spacious and clean. The bedroom and bathroom are through the kitchen. More than I could have ever asked for. I'm quite pleased, to say the least.

After taking a look around and dropping off my bags, we visited my school (more about that another day, I'm getting tired) and then headed for Lucky Super Market, just up the street a few blocks. I bought enough stuff to last me awhile. I saw lots of good food in the market, namely hot and spicy cheezits. (No, I didn't buy them. At this point anything from the USA is deemed a luxury that I cannot afford.) I ended the day unpacking and walking to the local internet cafe. I have to say, all in all, I think I'm going to be quite happy here. It feels like home, finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment